About Me

My photo
I'm an NYC-based director, and this is an outlet for my various musings about theater and about the city of New York. Sometimes the subjects run together, sometimes they are entirely separate, but between the two they comprise the most fitful, most intense, most trying love affair of my few years. They fill my head, my heart, my mouth every hour of every day; they could fill a book.

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Odds and Ends.

The reading for Suite for Summer went well. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't bring in more of a crowd - the audience was solid, but only two were my doing. But, publicity has never really been my strong suit. Can't seem to get those butts in seats. Oh well, my two made up for it by being active, intelligent and appropriate participants in the talk-back. The talk-back also went well; it seems everybody in the room left satisfied with what was heard and discussed.

And then there's also this.

I'm pretty excited about this. Man, I love The Civilians. Gone Missing is one of the most hilarious, enjoyable, poignant and profound few hours I have ever spent in the theater. Maybe I identified in particular because everything in my life does eventually go missing? I don't know. All I know is, I loved it. I loved how it interwove the trivial - the little pieces, the shoes, the wallets, the letters, that we leave behind as we go on with business of living - with the more significant items we lose and must somehow learn to cope with the loss. It was silly, and sad, and sometimes both and the exact same time. A brilliant and beautiful exploration of nostalgia and memory that shed a light how we love and how we grieve. And seriously? How did they do it? How did they take all these diverse, frenetic, true accounts and turn them into real story, with real structure, with such depth and meaning? It's the kind of thing that makes me inspired and bitterly jealous at the same time.


I really wish I had seen This Beautiful City. Not only do I love The Civilians, but I love religious discussion AND I love Colorado Springs. As the city of my grandparents and several sets of aunts, uncles and cousins, I think of it as a second home. I would have loved to see a show that investigated the dynamic of a city so dear to me. Why did I miss it? How did I let myself miss it? Dumb, dumb, dumb.

So anyway, I am NOT missing this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment