About Me

My photo
I'm an NYC-based director, and this is an outlet for my various musings about theater and about the city of New York. Sometimes the subjects run together, sometimes they are entirely separate, but between the two they comprise the most fitful, most intense, most trying love affair of my few years. They fill my head, my heart, my mouth every hour of every day; they could fill a book.

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Making the World a Little Bit Better (Or: Leigh Is a Huge Sucker)

I'm about to do something that I usually don't do on this blog: I'm going to make a personal plea.

Here's the deal. Because I just don't think it's enough to be working at Farm and Table and volunteering for BikeABQ and freelancing as a writer, I ALSO have a day job making phone calls for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. It's great, because even though it's exhausting and sometimes frustrating to make phone calls all day, at the end of it I can go home feeling good about myself and satisfied with how I've spent my time.

Except that... I don't.

Every day I talk to literally hundreds of people about all these kids who are suffering from neuromuscular diseases. Everyday I tell these people how important it is that we fund medical research and help pay for costly medical equipment and send these kids to summer camp so that they can have the experience of getting out and playing like normal kid. Everyday I tell them how much we need them to fundraise with us and help raise money for this wonderful cause.

Well, ironically, after spending my days convincing precious few how important their support is, I've managed to accidentally convince myself.

I'm an artist. I've asked for money for a lot of projects and given money to many more because I honestly believe that the work I'm supporting is, in its own way, making the world a better place.

This is making the world a better place, too. It's two sides of the same vital coin.

My feathers are also a little ruffled because everyday I listen to CEO's, business owners, lawyers - people in, let's just say, a much better position than anyone I know down here in the trenches tell me they don't have enough time, they don't know enough people, $1600 is a lot of money to raise.

It is a lot of money to raise, I want to tell them, but I've seen it done time and time again. If it's IMPORTANT, you will FIND the money. You will FIND the time. I know, because, guys, we always find the money.

These kids need so much, and it takes so little of us to give it. I'm pretty sure only maybe five people follow this blog, but if all five of you give just $6, we've gotten one kid their flu shot. And if all of you can give $15, well, we can fund fifteen minutes of research.

If you click right here, you can get to a Kickstarter-type page where you can donate right online. It's so easy, and any little bit is appreciated.

It's not a project, but it's the reason why we do our projects in the first place. And I would appreciate your help.

And here's the link again, in case you missed in the first time.

Thanks, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment